viaSport is working with the Province of British Columbia and the amateur sport sector to support organizations to operate safely during the COVID-19 pandemic. All sport activities in B.C. must follow B.C.’s Restart plan Step 2 and the PHO Order on Gatherings and Events.
Step 2 of B.C.’s Restart plan is in effect as of June 15.
The intention of the Restart plan is to help facilitate a gradual transition back to normal activities. During this process, it is viaSport’s role to focus on the safe return to sport activities. For updates on facilities in your municipality, contact the BC Recreation and Parks Association or Recreation Facilities Association of BC directly.
Key takeaways for sports organizations:
- Take the time to adapt your current COVID-19 Safety Plan by applying the appropriate protocols to align with B.C.’s Restart plan
- Consider working with your insurance company/lawyer for risk mitigation
- Ensure you keep your stakeholders updated on your return to sport status
- Check in with local health authorities on their plans and guidelines & connect with facilities operators/municipalities to learn their protocols
- Encourage members to keep playing and enjoying the facilities as gradually restrictions are lifted and more becomes accessible
Please continue to stay in touch with your Provincial Sport Organization for current and sport-specific information.
From British Columbia Golf:
It is our understanding each facility must have an up to date safety plan which must respect all items within the Return to Sport plan as well as any applicable WorkSafe BC and Provincial Health orders.
It is the responsibility of each facilty to determine within their overall safety plan how they wish to treat the touching of on course equipment such as rakes in bunkers, flagsticks and ball washers.